Become a Mental Health First Aider
If you’ve taken a physical first aid course; you’ve learned the skills needed to help someone experiencing a sudden illness or injury. People can also have mental health crisis, and it is important that more Canadians know how to provide help in these situations too.
How mental health first aid helps:
- Preserves life where a person may be a danger to themselves or others.
- Provides help to prevent the mental health problem from developing into a more serious state.
- Promotes the recovery of good mental health.
- Provides comfort to a person experiencing a mental health problem.
Mental Health First Aid Basic
Mental health first aid (MHFA) is the help provided to a person developing a mental health problem or in a mental health crisis. The first aid is given until appropriate professional treatment is received or until the crisis is resolved.
Mental Health First Aid Basic is a 12-hour course focused on adults interacting with adults in all environments. The course discusses the following mental disorders:
- Substance-related disorders
- Mood-related disorders
- Anxiety and trauma-related disorders
- Psychotic disorders
First aid skills for the following situations are learned:
- Substance overdose
- Suicidal behaviour
- Panic attack
- Acute stress reaction
- Psychotic episode