Become a Mental Health First Aider
Mental Health First Aid is now available in virtual format! Find out more below.
If you’ve taken a physical first aid course; you’ve learned the skills needed to help someone experiencing a sudden illness or injury. People can also have mental health crisis, and it is important that more Canadians know how to provide help in these situations too.
Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) is the help provided to a person developing a mental health problem or in a mental health crisis. The first aid is given until appropriate professional treatment is received or until the crisis is resolved.
How MHFA helps:
- Preserves life where a person may be a danger to themselves or others.
- Provides help to prevent the mental health problem from developing into a more serious state.
- Promotes the recovery of good mental health.
- Provides comfort to a person experiencing a mental health problem.
Mental Health First Aid Standard Virtual
In this 8-hour blended course, first aiders will complete a 2-hour self-paced module and then participate in two, 3-hour instructor-led classes using Zoom videoconferencing technology.
Participants of the virtual course will learn how to recognize signs that a person may be experiencing a decline in their mental well-being or a mental health crisis and encourage that person to:
– Talk about declines in their mental well-being
– Discuss professional and other supports that could help with recovery to improved mental well-being
– Reach out to these supports
– Assist in a mental health or substance use crisis
– Use MHFA actions to maintain one’s own mental well-being
Participants are required to complete the self-paced Module 1 before participating in the virtual classroom sessions (Modules 2 and 3).
Upcoming MHFA Virtual Training
Click the dates below to be taken to the online registration page
Mental Health First Aid Basic
Due to the Covid-19 Pandemic we are only offering MHFA Basic by request. Organizations wanting MHFA Basic training must be able to provide a training space with sufficient room to follow physical distancing guidelines.
MHFA Basic is a 12-hour in-person course focused on adults interacting with adults in all environments. The course discusses the following mental disorders:
- Substance-related disorders
- Mood-related disorders
- Anxiety and trauma-related disorders
- Psychotic disorders
First aid skills for the following situations are learned:
- Substance overdose
- Suicidal behaviour
- Panic attack
- Acute stress reaction
- Psychotic episode