We are seeking a Residential Mental Health Worker with a passion for the wellbeing of others to assist residents living with mental health challenges and other chronic health conditions at Arborlynn House. Our ideal candidate has an understanding of psychosocial rehabilitation, experience working with individuals with concurrent disorders in a harm reduction setting, and can build professional rapport with residents in a manner that maintains and respects the spirit, dignity and inclusivity and individuality of others in a 6 or 7 bed supportive home. The Residential Mental Health Worker dispenses medication, oversees meal preparation for the house and coaches residents in daily chores and activities which include accompanying individuals to medical appointments, volunteer shifts and exercise programs.
Hours of Work and Compensation
- Regular full-time afternoon shifts at Arborlynn House
- Monday to Friday 32.5 hours per week
- 3:30 pm-10:30 pm, plus unpaid 30 minute lunch.
- $18.39- $20.00/hour + 6% vacation
- Employees working more than 20 hours per week are eligible for RRSP contributions and medical and dental benefits.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Promote self-reliance and independence by supporting residents to participate in and achieve the goals of their care plans in order to maintain recovery from mental health issues
- Provide practical assistance, support, and mentor residents with activities of daily living such as housekeeping, meal planning and preparation, money management, interpersonal skills, community integration, making and keeping appointments and other skills as they arise.
- Coordinate the delivery of, check for accuracy of and administer medications
- Liaise with Community Psychiatric Services or other related mental health, addiction or other government or community supports, as needed.
- Perform any other duties as needed.
- Diploma or Degree in a Social Services or related field, or a combination of education, lived and work experience
- Experience working with people living with mental health and substance use challenges and other barriers
- Experience working with people living with concurrent disorders in a harm reduction setting is an asset
- Basic computer and Internet literacy (including MS Word/Excel/Outlook, G-Mail)
- Excellent oral communication skills. Second language is an asset
- Physical capacity to carry out the duties and operate related equipment
- Valid First Aid Level 1 and CPR are conditions of employment
- Food Safe Certificate is a condition of employment
- Vulnerable Population Criminal Record Check is a condition of employment
How to Apply:
Please submit a cover letter and resume detailing your experiences and qualifications to Tarn Ahluwalia, Housing Manager, at email@example.com.